Key idea: Protists are part of the kingdom protista!
- Kingdom Protista is like the "dumping ground" of organisms!
- It contains eukaryotes that do not fit into any other kingdom.
- Most are single-celled, but there are a few that are multi-celled.
- They contain a nucleus.
- They contain other membrane-bound organelles.
- Anything found in this kingdom cannot be classified as plant, animal or fungi.
Key Idea: Protists are classified into three (3) groups.
Group 1 - Animal-like Protists
Group 2 - Plant-like Protists
Group 3 - Fungi-like Protists
- Fungi-like protists absorb food from dead organic matter.
- Most fungi-like protists, but not all, have pseudopods to move.
- The scientific term for this type of protist is heterotroph.
Key Idea: How Protists Move
- Flagella are whip-like tails.
- The flagella moves like a propeller and pushes the protist along.